De Joffers: How it all started 25 years ago
For over 15 years we owned a restaurant on the island of Marken. Ready for a new challenge, we took the leap to Amsterdam, which resulted in the opening of De Joffers in 1993.
Joining forces, we created a restaurant with a distinct signature where everybody feels at home: a business with soul.
De Joffers became the heart of Amsterdam’s ‘Little Paris’ and is famous for its charismatic ambiance and enthusiastic team.
The restaurant was named after a group of distinguished Amsterdam ladies: De Joffers. They were painters who studied at the National Academy of Visual Arts in Amsterdam, at the end of the 19th century. They excelled at painting portraits, still lifes and genre scenes in a late impressionist style.
In 1912, art critic Albert Plasschaert first named this group ‘The Amsterdam Joffers’ in a magazine article. This is where the name of our beautiful brasserie originated.